In the Year of our lord, 1920, Archbishop John W. Shaw, Ordinary of the Archdiocese of New Orleans, established the parish St. James Major in the Gentilly area of New Orleans. It was in that decade the great depression of 1929 began, and finally came to an end with the beginning of World War II. The Little Woods area of the Eastern segment of New Orleans had long
been a favorite place for campers, hunters, outdoorsmen. Preserving it's wooded area over the years, the area became a place of refuge from the city, a resort of the shores by the Lake, a home for a hard working sturdy class of people.
The Catholic faith was always a great part of the Little Woods Community. In as much as the area was part of the Gentilly section of New Orleans, the priests of St. James Major Church would come to minister to their spiritual needs. So in June of 1935, in camp of Emmet and Edna Faust the Holy Sacrafice of mass was offered for the first time by a priests form St. James Major.
Thus, was set into motion a series of events which were to lead ultimately to the founding of St. Maria Goretti Parish. During August of 1935, families were permantly residing in the Little Woods Area. Funds were raised by Corcoran and Wesner families. An amount of $500.00 was raised for construction fees of the Mission Church. During World War II no money was raised for the Mission Church.